Top safety tips for new homeowners in Blacksburg
If you purchased your first home or you’re nearing the date to close, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for you and your family. You’re likely pondering how you can individualize your house with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you get too far, be sure you consider home security too. Keeping the ones you care about safeguarded should always be a primary emphasis, and we’ll help you do so with our safety tips for new homeowners in Blacksburg.
Perform a safety check of your new Blacksburg property
Now that you’re thinking about safety, find out what your new home has in place. To start, ensure you have functioning smoke detectors. Inspect all of them and change batteries if needed. Are there CO detectors? Do you need a water sensor in the cellar? This is also a perfect time to upgrade door locks and inspect all locking mechanisms on windows. Go through each room and get to know your new house.
Smart security tips for your Blacksburg home
Once you’ve completed your opening inspection of safety devices and locking systems, you can look into enhancing your property’s defense. Begin with these security tips for your home in Blacksburg.
- Install a modern home security system. One of the top things a new homeowner in Blacksburg can do is install a home security system. Today’s wireless advancements let you keep a close watch on your home even when you’re not there. You can scan live video feeds, control entry locks, and even speak with guests on your front porch right from your smartphone. You may personalize your defense with incredible security measures like video surveillance and monitored safety alarms.
- Update outdoor lights. Outdoor lights with motion detectors are a smart way to turn away prospective invaders. You may even use them in conjunction with video cameras. When a motion sensor is tripped, it can instruct your video equipment to record.
- Keep your premises neat. Do you have an unobstructed view of your property from inside? Are there overgrown trees and bushes obstructing the view? Eliminate likely hiding spots for trespassers by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will appreciate it also.
- Meet others in your community. Talking about your neighbors, get to know them. If you know people close to you, they’ll be more prone to advise you if they detect suspicious activity. You may also join your area’s social media page if one is available.
- Benefit from home automation. If you go with an advanced smart home, you can make it appear like you’re inside by activating smart light bulbs at predetermined moments. This is a nice feature when you’re away.